Sunday, March 22, 2009

Movie Review-Beyond Borders


This weekend I came across a film called "Beyond Borders," starring Angelina Jolie and Clive Owen. 

I was looking for a movie to rent and figured anything with Jolie and Owen must be good.  I was surprised that I had never heard of the film considering it had come out in 2003.

When I got home I decided to  see what critics said about the film.  I wanted to know whether my time and money would be well-spent or well-wasted

Based on the reviews, it seemed like my time would be well-wasted.  I still decided to watch it with my family, however, even though I wasn't expecting much from the film.

As the movie began, I realized I did not agree with the critics at all!

"Beyond Borders" is about a woman (Jolie), living in London, who realizes the realities of the world around her, after attending a fundraiser, and can't see herself just sitting around anymore enjoying her life while others are suffering. 

During the fundraiser, she witnesses an unexpected and fiery plea by Dr. Nick Callahan (Owen) about impoverished children and impulsively makes the decision to leave her wonderful London life in an effort to help the people in the refugee camps






I am not going to say much else about the film.  I don't want to give anything away!

I enjoyed the movie very much.  I liked how the movie had meaning to it.  Not only did it made the woman in the film aware of the world around her, but it made me as well realize that not everything is so perfect. 

We have to remember that a lot of people are suffering around the world and we have to be grateful for what we have.  It definitely was something different from the same old violent and action films that really just entertain rather than make an important point as well.

I do want to say that I could have enjoyed the film very much because I had low expectations of it based on the critics reviews.  You know what they say--when you have low expectations, you're usually satisfied and enjoy something so much more!  

I agree with this statement a lot, but I still think if you watch the movie thinking it will be good, you will STILL come out thinking it was good.  However, if low expectations is the way you want to go--GO FOR IT!  You definitely won't be disappointed!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers